- 250g red or yellow lentils – rinsed
- 3 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 sml white onion – chopped
- 4 red chillis – sliced with or without the seeds
- 20g fresh ginger cut into strips
- 2 cloves of garlic – or more!!
- 3 big tomatoes
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- fresh coriander leaves – chopped
- Lashings of our proper Greek style Natural yogurt or kefir
Put the lentils into one litre of water in a deep saucepan. Bring to the boil then skim off the froth and cover & simmer on a medium heat until the lentils are soft . This should take 40-45 mins. You can whisk up some of the mix to thicken it.
Heat the oil. Add cumin seeds and heat for about 30 secs. Add onion, chillies & ginger and cook for 10 mins until you get a lovely golden colour.
Puree the peeled garlic and tomatoes together and add to the onion mx with salt and powder spices plus 100ml of fresh water. Cook on a medium heat for 20 mins until the masala releases its oil.
Stir into the cooked lentils adding more water if required and bring to a gentle boil. Sprinkle with fresh coriander and more red chilli slices – and lashings of our proper Greek style Natural yogurt or kefir. Remember, the more chillies you have, the more refreshing yogurt you will need!